CPC’s vision is collective liberation, la liberación del pueblo. We create spaces for learning, healing, and relationship building. We’re a democratically run, non-hierarchical, multiracial organization. We are located in Asheville, NC and work deeply with communities based in Western North Carolina.
We are looking to add a Communications Specialist to our team! This is an ideal role for an intrinsically motivated human, who both deeply values working in a collective with all the fluidity and innovation it brings as well as being self-motivated and applying ingenuity to accomplish tasks. A communications specialist for CPC would understand the importance of the power of language in both spoken and written word and how providing accessibility to ease the ability to communicate is key to community building and organizing across lines of difference. We are hoping to find someone who in creating a dynamic communications strategy can further key goals to:
Educate – Teach others about what we do and why we do it.
Entertain – Cultivate interest and emotion in our audience so they will continue to engage.
Evoke action – Persuade our audience to contribute, volunteer, or share the word about us!
- Creating and implementing a communications strategy on CPC’s various platforms
- Working with web development consulting group to oversee the redesign and reboot of the website
- Develop a communication plan to create the internal message shared with public
- Collaborate with staff to compile an annual report
- Amplify worker voices Identify opportunities to elevate workers’ stories for media, advocacy, organizing, and policy opportunities; identify and proactively secure opportunities for workers to tell their stories in the media and on online content platforms; coach storytellers to prepare them for interviews, videos, op̐eds, blogs posts, etc.
- Support with strategic planning and development of the organization’s media relations. Foster relationships with the press, maximizing CPC’s visibility to a wide range of journalists; monitor English and Spanish media for news related to CPC and workplace health and safety; respond to media inquiries, schedule interviews, prepare talking points
- Support with general communications responsibilities, including editing and formatting email, newsletter, and website content.
- Track, report, and analyze all metrics and modify plans for all campaigns based on learnings
Location and Commitments
This role is located in Asheville NC. Hybrid/Remote for the time being however there is an expectation that the candidate be available for in person work as needed . Thus we stress that local candidates would be ideal or a candidate that can relocate within less than six months or to be able to travel at the request of the organization. This role is 30 hrs a week
- 3-5 years of experience working in a communications or marketing-related role
- 2-4 years of experience or familiarity working for an organization or institution of similar size and mission alignment as CPC
- Strong familiarity with social media platforms and trends as well as a familiarity with snail mail campaigns, newsletter development, and web design.
- Strong familiarity with the Microsoft, Adobe, and Google Workspace
- Some background knowledge of website management and development
- Some background knowledge of popular education and CRT concepts
- Some familiarity with concepts of language justice
- Attention to detail and ability to work under tight deadlines with integrity, accountability, and a commitment to maintaining quality.
- A strong desire to work within a collective collaboratively ( and all the fluidity this entails) as well as the strong ability to be self-directed and motivated
- Bilingual ( Spanish and English fluency)
- Advanced understanding of popular education and critical race theory in practice
- Racial, worker, or immigrant justice organizing experience
- Strong familiarity and understanding of concepts of language justice
- Strong familiarity and experience with developing, implementing, and managing a communications strategy for an organization or institution
- Familiarity with Neon & Mailchimp
- Flexibility to travel to be present for in-person work and meetings would be highly desired
Perks, Compensation, and Benefits
You will be paid $46,800 annually with a 2% cost of living increase annually (depending on the annual budget).
CPC also offers:
- A $50 a month work from home reimbursement
- A health stipend of $3000 annually
- A technology reimbursement of up to $500
- Paid time off (sick and personal)
- Highly Flexible Schedule
- A four week paid sabbatical after 3 years with the organization
- Paid parental leave
We list our salaries and do not participate in the process of negotiating salaries because we are dedicated to transparency in our goal to make a more just structure where folk are compensated laterally throughout the organization.
CPC encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply if applicable. We deeply value and benefit from working in community with folk from all diverse walks of life and edify the practice of inclusion in the work that we do. We do not tolerate discrimination at any level within the organization.
We are looking to hire by August 2022. Our desired timeline would be:
- Applications open until May 30th 2022
- First round of interviews conducted June 6th- 17th 2022
- Final round of interviews conducted July 4th-8th 2022
- Interview candidates notified and offer extended by July 15th 2022
Projected start date somewhere between August 1st-15th 2022
How to Apply
To apply please send a resume and or cover letter along with a one-minute video of why you would like to join the CPC team in the role of Communications Specialist to [email protected]. Please title your submission Communications Specialist. Submissions will be taken into consideration up until the deadline of 12:00 pm Eastern time on May 30th 2022