Western North Carolina Self Development Fund
CPC's Self Development Fund (SDF) provides direct funding for small, community-led organizations and their projects. The SDF helps meet the need for financial support among grassroots organizations, while also helping those groups 1) develop the capacity to write proposals for funding from larger organizations and 2) plan for carrying out grassroots fundraising projects. The SDF has two grant programs. Through Seed Grants, the SDF provides small start-up grants (up to $1,000) to support projects that are initated, planned, and controlled by groups of people in low-wealth communities. Through Grassroots Fundraising Matching Grants, the SDF provides funds to match what a group brings in through a grassroots fundraising project which the group has planned and carried out together.
The SDF grant programs provide grassroots groups with many benefits:
- an opportunity to learn (with CPC's support and guidance) the process of writing grant proposals;
- a model grant proposal that can be modified and submitted to other foundations;
- immediate access to needed start-up funding;
- an opportunity to learn, plan, and carry out a grassroots fundraising activity,
- matching funds to help leverage additional money from other sources, and
- a way (through a community activity or the press) to get the organization local recognition.